On 1/7/19 9:11 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2019, at 5:41 PM, DaveW <wasserlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Stephen and Colin,
>>
>> I am going around and around.  I am a little confused as to whether the
>> instructions in the above thread apply to 18.04 or 18.10??
>> Nevertheless, I followed the commands line by line,  (Although I
>> note that when it gets to the: "libboost-locale1.65.1
>> libboost-regex1.65.1" line it say it does not recognise the command.)
Those should be part of:

/sudo apt install ........... /Looks like the line wrapping didn't convey the
true meaning of what to do there.

Let me try to cleanup the commands (just 5 lines all beging with "sudo ")--
just in case line wrapping happens:

sudo apt remove gnucash

sudo apt autoremove

sudo dpkg -i Downloads/gnucash_3.4-0-1_amd64.deb

sudo apt install  libboost-filesystem1.65.1  libboost-date-time1.65.1
libboost-locale1.65.1  libboost-regex1.65.1

sudo apt-mark hold gnucash

//

>> However, I always land up where I started.  I should note here that
>> Synaptic sees the 3.4 version but it's greyed out and there is an !
>> mark.
> 18.04, I’ve tested them on 18.10, but there is a larger dependency mess.
>

>> Here's some additional information which may point to my dilemma:-
>>
>> I have available in my Software Centre 2 versions of Gnucash:
>>      1. ver 1.2.6.19-1.
>>      2. ver Version: 3.2 Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24).  I notice that
>>      the source is dl.flathub.org.  Futhermore, I discover, in my
>>      frenzy, that Synaptic does not see this version - even though
>>      it is installed?  So I guess "flathub" is outside the Ubuntu
>>      relm? It seems to work okay, although I have not thoroughly
>>      tested it.
>> I discover that I can install each of the above versions and they can
>> run independently.
> Flatpaks are installed via a separate system. See here:
> https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/
>
> You can then search for and install via flathub.org, or cli with ‘flatpak
> install’
>
> If I recall correctly, one of the devs now officially maintains the flatpak
> of GnuCash. Unfortunately, flathub.org does not say which version is
> available, though I’d suspect the cli search feature to report it correctly.
>

>> All of that said, I simply want to install the latest version and keep
>> the system and myself happy.
> For that I’ve always built from source, but that was before the flatpak and
> now this .deb file were available.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> Dave W

I am trying to get a better deb via Launchpad were we can put up a ppa
for folks to point to.  Probably name it "gnucash-daily", although I
don't see it changing daily but as commits are made to the maint branch.

However, I am having problems with one of the tools (pbuilder-dest) and
have a query out in the Ubuntu Forums for input.  Nothing back when I
checked a minute ago.  I suspect I'm going to have to read the code
(shell script) for pbuild-dest and the debootstrap script it invokes
(also shell script).  The later complains that gpgv can't be found --
but I can invoke it just fine.  I am comfortable in ksh and hope that
transfers well to bsh.

Wish I had better news and was making progress to get something really
useful.  My research indicates the check-install is not up to the task
of dealing with multiple O/S version.