Thanks Eric for the clarification,

I found that I got a better handle on the reports after I just played around
with them for a bit. Some options are laid out or described in a way that while
technically accurate, can be obtuse if not confusing.

To see what each option does, I just started fiddling and clicking the ‘Apply’
button to learn what their effect was. Sometimes reading Help manuals actually
helps, but in this case, I learned more by doing.

To your specific purpose, you might want to take a look at the following:

Balance Forecast
Average Balance
Cash Flow Bar Chart
Income & Expense Line Chart

Each of these (as most reports) can be set for just a single account, so you
can see what is happening to it alone if desired.

Also, the Multi-column report would allow you to have 2 or more (and other)
reports all on one tab, which you could always keep open as a sort of
‘dashboard’ if you will. One of these might be a Balance Forecast chart just
for the Checking Account. Note, that chart offers you the option of a ‘reserve
amount’ and a ’target amount’ as lines you can display to see if you are
projected to cross a danger zone.