David

I am running GnuCash 3.7 built on Linux Mint 19.2 from the tarball download
and I don't experience any of the problems you are describing with editing
the Description or Memo fields in a transaction in an account  register or
in the General Journal tab at all.  They change and are saved and can be
reopened.

I keep my GnuCash files in a Dropbox account and can open them in GnuCash
3.7 on a laptop running Windows 10 with no problem as well, even
simultaneously, if I bypass the lock (definitely not recommended practice
though). Much easier than transferring via QIF files if only going from
GnuCash on Windows to GnuCash on Linux.  You would have to be caerful that
you have the same major version on each. Going from a 2.6 version on Windows
to a 3.7 on Linux would not work for example.

When you installed GnuCash 3.7 was it a new installation? If not, if you
have previously installed GnuCash you may have library files for the
previous version which may not have been overwritten or replaced. I have had
problems in the past with the Linux Mint distribution version's files
conflicting ( I install in /usr/local) if I do not totally remove the
distribution version before installing your own build. Which location did
you install GnuCash 3.7 in?  As long as you don't install to the same
location it should be OK. I often have one or two development builds as well
as the current stable version on my computer as long as I install the
development builds to separate locations in my user directory and my
production stable version to /usr/local I haven't had any problem.  It does
pay to uninstall any previous version that has been installed in a
particular location before installing another version to that location
however.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens