In my case, my font problem in 3.6 on Mac Mojave appeared when I ran a report –
balance sheet. Characters weren’t corrupted, but glyph (drawn character)
mapping was. I eliminated the problem by specifying the font, rather than
staying with the default.

Obviously this is not the same as the OP’s problem, but it indicates some
strange font-related issues in 3.6.

--
Peter West
p...@pbw.id.au