> On 16 Oct 2019, at 19:48, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net>
> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 16, 2019 w42d289, at 12:26 PM, Paul de Vries
>> <paul.de.vr...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>

>>> On 15 Oct 2019, at 20:40, Adrien Monteleone
>>> <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:
>>
>>> #1 - you didn’t need to install GTK3 from MacPorts to utilize a custom CSS
>>> file. You only need this if you want to run the GTKInspector on MacOS to
>>> find out the hooks to tweak various UI parts via that custom CSS file. But
>>> even then, you’ll only need to do that for those elements not documented
>>> already on the wiki. (though most of those not documented aren’t alterable
>>> by CSS anyway)
>>
>> I'll uninstall GTK3 from MacPorts.
>>
>>> #2 - you can attach an image file to a message, but make sure to put it at
>>> the end, not in-line. Mailman strips out in-line images. A foolproof method
>>> would be to use a free image hosting service (like imgur.com) to upload
>>> your image and then put the link to it in your reply.
>>
>> see https://imgur.com/a/ARiC6WR
>
> Interesting. This definitely looks like a corrupt font file, but does the
> same font look like this in other apps? Other GTK apps? (if you have any)

I don't know about any other GTK3 program. I checked
'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK' but I don't recognize anything.

> #3 - this might be a known issue with webkit on MacOS, but a sample result
> image might help to narrow it down. I’ve seen threads discussing this problem
> on the bottom line of a page, but not within the page.
>>
>> see above
>
> It seems the problems are `n`, `u`, and `m` with the left side of the glyph
> having the issue. I don’t see any other glyphs with issues that stand out
> —very strange.

>>> Finally, try different fonts, including the default, and see what the
>>> printed result looks like.
>>
>> I tried different fonts in ~/Library/Application\
>> Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
>> but it seems to have no effect on the 'Print Invoice' button result window,
>> or on error messages.
>
> So any font you choose mangles those three letters? Do other fonts mangle
> other letters?

No, any font I specify in ~/Library/Application\
Support/Gnucash/config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css is OK.

> I’m thinking this might well be a GTK issue. Do you still have this problem
> after uninstalling GTK3 via MacPorts?

Same with and without.

> What IS the default font on a mac, so that I can check it for errors?
>
> Unfortunately, Apple hides it from us. It is ’San Francisco’ by name, but you
> can’t see it in FontBook and it isn’t selectable in apps. (best I can tell)

I have 'SFNS Display' in Font Book, and it doesn't look like the system font.

> But I think the default stylesheets in GnuCash use Arial. Maybe give that a
> try. Also, simply commenting out your font declaration in the CSS file will
> restore the app’s default for the UI.

The font use for 'print invoice, error messages, etc' is not affected by the
gtk.css, where is it defined?