On November 18, 2019, at 8:02 PM, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I think I have a suggestion for some better wording.  See below.
>How about:
>The data file is currently in use.  Most likely this means that the data
>file was not cleanly closed (due to a crash) after it was last opened.
>If you are sure that it is not currently in use by you or another user,
>click "Open Anyway".  Otherwise, click one of the other options.

The problem with this wording is that the first sentence is directly
contradicted by the second.

It would actually be more accurate to say:

There is a lock file in the system for the requested data file, which means
either that you are running another instance of Gnucash with this file, or that
the file was not properly closed previously (for example, due to a crash).

If you are sure that it is not currently in use by you or another user, click
"Open Anyway".  Otherwise, cancel or open the file in read only mode.

[I am working from memory here. I don't recall the exact options. However, I
really dislike the "click one of the other options" wording. Far better to list
them IMHO]

But once we're this far into the weeds, I think you're going to lose most users
anyways.

>Note to devs: does it make sense to put the gnucash PID into the lock
>file and then check to see if that PID is currently running?  That could
>help detect whether there is a current process or a crash/unclean
>shutdown?

Again, if user A has a data file open, user B shouldn't also open the file. I
don't see how a check for Gnucash instances could work to prevent precisely
this problem, since my machine won't have any Gnucash instances running--but
the file IS being used.

Although I admit you're more knowledgeable on these points than I ever will be.

David T.