It is a two pronged approach, not really a one-or-the-other type situation.

By booking the liability your Balance Sheet will correctly reflect your net
worth. If you owe money, it should deduct from your net worth. If you don’t
book the liability, your net worth appears larger than it really is. (making it
look like more of your assets in-hand, are really yours to spend as you wish.)

How important that is to you, or if that runs afoul of any laws in your
jurisdiction is not for us to determine.

Using a separate account, real or virtual to segregate funds (assets) is a
mechanism to prevent yourself from spending them so you will have the funds
when you need to pay the liability. But that isn’t a substitute for recognizing
the liability in your books.

Step 1 is recognizing the liability.
Step 2 is setting aside the money to pay that liability later.