Samantha,

Have you tried price retrieval from the command line as explained in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Trouble_Shooting? Does that work?

You haven't actually told us exactly what doesn't work. Please elaborate.

Note that trading accounts has nothing to do with it, nor do previously created
prices. Note that while rates used for transactions are recorded in the pricedb
to ensure that there's an entry to make reports work properly, each foreign
currency split has its own exchange rate, the ratio between the amount in the
foreign currency and the value in the home currency, so the only thing you'd
affect by clearing the pricedb is reports on past dates, especially time series
reports.

You may also enter prices manually as a temporary measure until you get online
quotes working properly.

Regards,
John Ralls