Dennis,

Progress, I guess.

Yes, $PATH is typed verbatim. You did that part right.

You probably need to run gnc-fq-update and friends with the full path, e.g.
  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-check
gnc-fq-update usually requires sudo in front of it
  sudo /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-update
because it wants to write to your system perl directories.

Regards,
John Ralls