I solved my problem.

I may not be using GNUCash the correct way but it works for my needs.
All my deposits would go to income account and all my withdrawals would come
out of my expense account.
Since the expense account started with a zero balance it would always have a
negative balance that would continue to grow as transactions where added as
credit/withdrawal.

It is not so much using gnucash (in particular) the wrong way as not doing double entry bookkeeping properly. It means that most helper folks here will not be able to help you. We won't be able to answer questions like the one with which you began "why is this negative?"

a) Using an app like gnucash to partially automate double entry bookkeeping does not mean that you can skip learning the fundamentals of double entry bookkeeping << those who learned the old way, pen and ink on paper, first entering in the journal and then posting to the ledger accounts will know what is being automated >>  You will be far better off in the long run not skipping the "fundamentals".

b) Somebody like myself, having learned in the old days doing bookkeeping by hand, can utilize gnucash in unorthodox ways. And I do that sometimes. But I know how that will affect what report now means what, etc.  Not to be recommended until you really know what you are doing.

Michael D Novack