There already is such a preference. It is the very first preference on the first tab.

Most reports (certainly annual ones) default to 'beginning of accounting period' and 'end of accounting period'.

The OP's issue is that preference by default is 'beginning/end of *this* year, and we're already in the year after the desired period for the reports. The solution is change the preference or used saved configs set to 'last year'. I have these called "Closing..." for each desired report and I know those are for the previous year. I only use them once a year in January.