Michael,

Thanks again for your perspective. I admit to being a little confused by your
comments here.

My breakdown was based on an earlier post that emphasized the need to isolate
the initial deposits into a "deferred income" account and add the extra entries
at distribution time. I interpreted that to mean a separate income account; I
don't know what a "standing account" is or where it would be placed in the
hierarchy. Equity?

As for counting as income, most paychecks I've seen list the employee's gross
income at the top, with contributions to tax-deferred accounts listed as
deductions from the gross amount. This is why I placed deferred income under
income; the income that my employer lists at year end includes this deferred
income. I can, I imagine, chalk this up to another case of "their books, my
books" (as in, "On their books, it's income; on my books it's not."), but I'd
be happy to understand a little better.

The case of an IRA can be even more confusing, in that a person can make IRA
contributions entirely separately from income transactions and have those
contributions affect income at tax time.

⁣David T. ​