Thanks. I did a little testing, trying both your suggestion and Stan's. Both
seemed to have the same result: I was only prompted once. I suspect that
"formula-izing" the transaction doesn't materially change anything here.

In retrospect, I suspect user error in the first place. I now believe that I
had created the test transaction without paying close enough attention to the
start date-- and that GnuCash was creating multiple instances of the
transaction (and therefore promoting for each).

⁣David T. ​