On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 00:16:01 -0600
Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Easiest example that I can remember off the top of my head is, my
> wife recently wrote a check from her business account (her weeks
> wages) and deposited it directly into our personal account.  The OFX
> import, and statement, from our bank show it but there is no matching
> transaction in the business account.  Our statement has an image of
> the check plain as day but there is no match, period, in her business
> account statement(s).  And what really has me bumfuzzled is both sets
> of books are reconciled per their respective statements.  And it's
> not just one transaction involved, there are multiples.  That check
> did not bounce, it just seemingly like magic appeared in our account
> out of thin air. Magic money.
>

> For now I have the check recorded as a deposit to our account and
> withdrawal from Imbalance-USD.  Just wanted to get your input on if
> that is the best way to handle transactions like that.

Thanks for that, now I have understood.
You are depending on the bank's version of your account(s) to maintain
your view of your accounts.
Your view is of course far more up to date, because you know that the
money was transferred from X to Y.

These are personal choices on how you maintain your accounts, nothing
is right nor wrong. I had initially thought that you had made an entry
in Gnucash and that entry had lost one side of the transaction.

Cheques (checks to you) have multiple delays in processing and data
entry in any bank's procedures.
Personally my wages go by direct transfer from business to personal, on
a regular schedule booked online with my bank.

Liz