Your work is unlikely to be gone. By default (unless you changed it) there is a preference set to periodically save the file. The lock file issue is because either GnuCash crashed, or you shut down the computer without closing the app first.

Open the app, (choose 'open anyway' if you like, but as you noted, there was nothing there) then go to File > Open and then navigate to your file. GnuCash *should* remember the last file used, but if something goes awry and it does not, then you can simply point it back to the proper file.

If you are on a Mac, you *cannot* open a file by double-clicking it. You have to open the app first, then use File > Open. While double-clicking should work on Windows & Linux, in this case, I'd say it is safer to use File > Open.