On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 at 19:42, Patrick James <patrickjame...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> About two months ago, there was a major ice storm in Austin, and the area
> was completely unprepared for such a storm. A friend of mine was without
> power for about 12 days. He has two small children, and he has good local
> resources, which were also impacted by the ice storm, and it was not easy
> on him.
>
> From the other messages here, the web server is in Austin, and was
> impacted by the storm. The basic claim extends to the ISP in terms of
> recovery from the ice storm, which propagated to the GnuCash server.
>
> No one here seems to have a philosophical problem with https, but when an
> ice storm bring the system down, well, that's a problem.

There are people here that do not see the advantages of it. To quote Chris
Green above.

"How does that make the site 'dangerous'?  All it means is that
communication between you (i.e. the user) and the site isn't
encrypted. As you don't need to send or receive any confidential
information the lack of encryption is wholly irrelevant!

I would argue it is *not **wholly irrelevant* when the largest search
engine uses it as a ranking factor.