On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 08:47:50PM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 at 19:42, Patrick James <patrickjame...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > About two months ago, there was a major ice storm in Austin, and the area
> > was completely unprepared for such a storm. A friend of mine was without
> > power for about 12 days. He has two small children, and he has good local
> > resources, which were also impacted by the ice storm, and it was not easy
> > on him.
> >
> > From the other messages here, the web server is in Austin, and was
> > impacted by the storm. The basic claim extends to the ISP in terms of
> > recovery from the ice storm, which propagated to the GnuCash server.
> >
> > No one here seems to have a philosophical problem with https, but when an
> > ice storm bring the system down, well, that's a problem.
> >

> There are people here that do not see the advantages of it. To quote Chris
> Green above.
>
> "How does that make the site 'dangerous'?  All it means is that
> communication between you (i.e. the user) and the site isn't
> encrypted. As you don't need to send or receive any confidential
> information the lack of encryption is wholly irrelevant!

That hardly says that I do not "see the advantages"! :-)

I was just saying that I think the concept that a non-encrypted HTTP:
site is 'dangerous' is misleading.  If all you are doing is looking at
the site and reading information then it doesn't matter in the
slightest.

> I would argue it is *not **wholly irrelevant* when the largest search
> engine uses it as a ranking factor.

Quite true, if the site in question want's to be found easily.  Though
in the case of someone searching for 'gnucash' I can't see how it
makes much differenc, you can only really find gnucash if you search
for 'gnucash'.  The one case where better/higher Google ranking might
be if someone searches for 'accounting software'.

So, somewhat sadly, I agree that gnucash.org being an HTTPS: site is
probably a good idea. It's just for not very good reasons IMHO.

--
Chris Green