On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 at 07:09, Stan Brown <the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2023-04-07 14:09, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> >
> > The point is, if you ever want to look at the books in their state prior
> > to the 2023 close you don't undo anything. Instead you retrieve the
> > back-up and open a copy of that.
>
> That's certainly possible, and I agree it's much better than undoing
> things. But there's a very large caveat:
>
> When you open GnuCash, it opens the file you were working on most
> recently. So you need to be very sure that you have opened the file you
> intended to, after you have finished whatever you wanted to do with the
> pre-closing file.

> P.S. There's a workaround for this in Windows, and I believe in Linux as
> well.

So, let's assume that you are running GnuCash on GNU/Linux.

Chances are that there'is a menu entry, or an icon on a toolbar somehere,
that you click on to invoke GnuCash.

You should be able to edit the menu entry,'s or the icon's "command"
string so that what you actually invoke is

/path/to/gnucash --nofile

That will invoke GnuCash without any Book/Ledger open, but you will
have the four most recentl entries in GnuCash's File menu, so you can
choose to open whichever one of the four you want to, rather than
having to hard-code any particular file at every startup time, or, as Stan
mentions, get the last one you worked on by default.

There's probably something similar in windows-land.

HTH
Kevin

PS

I have spared you the "you can always edit/play with/ the XML in
the GnuCash file, in order to start a new tax year in the same
filename" approach, but I've added it into a few threads over the
years so, if you feel like making a backup and having a go, you
should be able to find all you need in the archives.