Maybe patch the code to load a junk string in there "Enter_your_key_here" and
suppress the warning?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Schuck <bsch...@asgard-systems.com>
To: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Cc: rlo...@gmail.com; geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be; m.muruganan...@hotmail.com;
hell...@gmail.com; dgpick...@aol.com
Sent: Mon, Apr 10, 2023 12:01 pm
Subject: Re: [GNC] Command line quotes still not fixed

On 10 Apr 2023 09:22:04 -0500R Losey<rlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could always get a key (they are free) and have it set.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but I stumbled on a bug with the
authentication of the AlphaVantage API Key. Make one up!

Using "NOTAREALAPIKEY" as the key, I found that lookups work. I hit on
this when testing updates to the AlphaVantage.pm module to see what is
returned for invalid as well as blank/unset key.

curl
'https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=TIME_SERIES_INTRADAY&symbol=NXPI&interval=5min&apikey=NOTAREALAPIKEY'

I sent AlphaVantage an email about this last year and never got a
response, nor did the issue get fixed.

In related news, I am just about finished testing a new currency module
for Finance::Quote that gets the data from Yahoo. No API key needed.

Along with this I am thinking about using an environment variable
(FQ_CURRENCY) to allow users to choose their preferred currency exchange
API. If not set a default will be used, currently AlphaVantage, but that
may change to YahooJSON so users will not have to worry about setting
both it and an AV API key. Feel free to discuss this at
https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/discussions/239.

- Bruce S.