Nope and nope. Sorry.

It seems to me that leaving GnuCash open and running a con job against the open
app is a recipe for troubles just like the ones you have encountered. You could
tell the script to abort if it found the lock file, but that would require you
to close the app every night, which you're not doing now.

⁣David T. ​