On 2023-06-18 18:48, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> Notice that "point" in "point of sales. That's because the correct tax
> amount depends on the point of sale (the where).

Well, sometimes. In California, for example, the sales tax rate on
purchase of a vehicle is according to where the new owner lives, not
according to where the dealer is located. (I bought my car in LA County,
but the dealer correctly charged me sales tax based on my residence in
Kern County. Had I lived in LA County and bought from a dealer in Kern,
I would have had to pay the higher LA County rate. In either case, the
dealer's location is irrelevant.)

Granted, that's unusual. But as you know, it takes the same amount of
programming effort to handle a given special case whether it occurs
frequently or once in a blue moon.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com