Hello, John, and welcome to GnuCash!

On 2023-07-16 15:39, John M. Thornton wrote:

Good afternoon,

I just wanted to inquire if anybody is able to use the Online Banking Setup
with Gnucash and how easy it was to set up within North America.  I
have tried to follow some wiki information and also looked at the setup for
my banks but it just doesn't seem to work.  I am able to download either
QIF or OFX files and do that, just was looking for something maybe a little
easier similar to how Quicken used to do it.

I am using Windows 11, GnuCash 5.3 for reference

I am guessing that want to use Online Banking itself, and the Online Banking Setup is just a necessary step in preparation. The term I use for this interaction is OFXDirectConnect, which is the name of the protocol which actually does the information exchange.  If you have not already read the wiki page, <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect>, I recommend it to you.

Yes, I have used Online Banking via OFXDirectConnect for some banks and credit cards in the USA and Canada in the past. I no longer use it, because entering my transactions manually works better for me.

My experience is that how easy or difficult it is to set up OFXDirectConnect is entirely a function of the bank or credit card company. Most don't bother to offer the service. Those that do, tend to offer it in idiosyncratic ways which require you to figure out what combinations of settings will be just right let the connection work. And, they tend not to describe what they require very well.

The web site OFX Home <https://www.ofxhome.com/> lists the required connection settings for some 300 banks and companies. If that company to which you want to connect is described there, correctly, then setting up a connection is easier. If it is not there, then it will probably be difficult to figure out.

Does that answer your question?

Best regards,
   —Jim DeLaHunt