I quite often seem to have cases where several 'items' (see below for
the type of thing I mean) are paid for with a single payment to/from a
bank account.  What is a good way to record this sort of thing?

Examples:-
  I pay in money (cash) from collections and other donations.  These
  need to be recorded as separate items but end up as a single deposit
  to the bank account.  At present I manage these by entering them
  as separate transactions but with the same deposit slip number in
  the 'Num' column in GnuCash.  Is there a better way?

  I pay money from (say) a savings account to a current account to
  cover several payments (to one supplier) from the current account.
  Similarly the payment from the current account may be a single
  payment to cover several invoices. How should one record these? I
  want to be able to see how the single payment is made up from
  several items but also show that it was a single transaction.

There isn't a 'Num' to use in the second case above, this isn't a
cheque payment, it's an online transaction so there's no (easy) way to
identify it really.

Would a split transaction work for this?  However I thought split
transactions are for joining together payments to 'different' places
rather than joining together several payments to and from the same
places.

Any/all help would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green