On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 4:39 AM Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

> Maybe I should put this a different way, the answers so far don't seem
> to quite address my question, probably because I'm not describing what
> I'm trying to do.
>
> So, very simply, say I am buying sweets in a shop and I select:-
>
>     One bar of chocolate        0.99
>     Two bags of pear drops      1.50
>     Chewing gum                 1.00
>
> Then I pay the shopkeeper       3.49
>

> I want to record this in GnuCash in a way that shows that it is a
> single transaction debiting 'cash in my pocket' and crediting
> 'shopkeeper' but I want to detail the items making up the transaction.
>
> How do I do this?

This may be simple, but why not have a split transaction:

You reduce "cash" 3.49
You increase whatever expense account you use for sweets (using "Candy"
below)
Expenses:Candy 0.99   (and put "chocolate bar" in the description)
Expenses:Candy 1.50   ("pear drops" in the description)
Expenses:Candy 1.00   ("chewing gum" in the description)

This is "one" transaction that has three separate entries to "Candy", with
each saying what it was.

OR, you could just have "Expenses:Candy" for 3.49 and list all three in the
description.

OR, if you are REALLY obsessed with tracking your sweets, you could create
sub-accounts under candy for each type of candy you purchase.