On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 17:00:35 +0300
Shevach Pepper <sheva...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    I’m sure this is really simple but I’m not successful.
>
>    I installed gnucash on new computer but I can’t find an option to
>    import all my old accounts from old computer. I’m sure this has
> been asked before, but I can’t find any instructions on how to do it.

I've just had to do this because I dropped my laptop.
I've gone from 4.14 to 5.1 in the same move.

I've transferred my ~/ (home directory) from one computer to the new
one.
Gnucash opens, but a lot of my preferences are gone, and even which is
my next invoice number.
I open Gnucash > Help > About, and attach the screenshot.

This tells me where to look for my preferences, data etc.
GNC_USERDATA_DIR is /home/liz/.local/share/gnucash
Nope, my data files are in subdirectories of
/home/liz/Nextcloud/gnucash/
My *.gcm files are under books in ~/.local/share/gnucash/

$ ls /home/liz/.local/share/gnucash
accelerator-map  deviceidhashsalts    qif-accounts-map          storage
books            expressions-2.0      saved-reports-2.8
stylesheets-2.0 checks           hsts-storage.sqlite
saved-reports-2.8-backup  translog

GNC_USERCONFIG_DIR is /home/liz/.config/gnucash
Nope, this directory is empty (and I checked two other computers that
have shared this data and all are empty directories here)

What does the FAQ say?
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_moved.2Frenamed_my_data_file_and_my_reports_disappeared._How_do_I_get_them_back.3F

"Reports are stored in a separate file in the ~/.gnucash/books
directory."

Nope, no such directory
$ ls ~/.gnucash/books
ls: cannot access '/home/liz/.gnucash/books': No such file or directory

OK, I am supposed to know what I am doing, and I can't this time,
having advanced from 4.14 to 5.1, find where to put my preferences
file(s).

There is a serious disconnect between the documentation and the new
version here.
I can understand that a person less familiar with Gnucash could have a
lot of difficulty moving to a new computer.

And by the way, where does the new version expect to find my *.gcm
files??

Liz