Barry,

On 8/27/23 12:49 PM, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user wrote:

OK,I have an app called CaptureWiz but it doesn't save as gps

"gps" as a file format was never requested. I don't know why you think it was. Why did you even comment on this fact, who told you that was the necessary format? (where did you get that idea?)

Note, you *do not* need a screenshot app, though some of them do offer extra abilities.

At a very basic level, Windows OS has supported the PrtSc key on your keyboard for 30+years. If you hit that key, a screenshot of your current viewport will be saved somewhere. In the past it was a BMP format to the clipboard, but I've heard modern versions save a PNG to a folder. You NEED to do a tad bit of homework to learn how this works. Of course, if you already know how to use CaptureWiz, that is fine. I'm sure its formats are compatible with this list.

------

Here goes with an attachment - recent files in tax accounts and returns,
as I said, not used as gnucash data from loading, recently, but seem to have recently saved files. Further mystery.

Not a mystery. You clearly are not paying attention to where you are saving your files or where you are accessing them from. (once you told us it was 'tax accounts and returns' under the 'Barry Mahon' user and other times you told us it was under the 'Documents' under the 'admistrato' user)

We can help you to a point, but the end result relies on you. You absolutely *must* get it straight in your mind where your files are stored. We can help you sort that out, especially now that you've figured out attachments.

I have REPEATEDLY stated not to try to send your actual files to us. Those won't do any/much good.

Yet, that is what you just did. And in this case, you sent a log file, which is effectively useless to us. (you also sent everyone on this list an actual copy of your GnuCash file — 2 of them in fact — that is all of your personal financial activity! No one ever requested this, I still don't know why you keep insisting you need to send it. It does us no good with regards to trying to help you.)

I'll congratulate you that you did in fact this time manage to send an attachment, even if it wasn't what was requested.

Now you know how to do it properly.
-----

My question now is can I and how do I move over to adminstrato?

NO! NO! NO! Do *not* move them over to the user 'adminstrato'! You need to take the files that are stored in the 'adminsistrato' tree and move them to the 'Barry Mahon' user — opposite of what you are thinking. And I have no idea why you'd think otherwise. No one has suggested what you are referencing. (that I recall)

The attached files have no 'save' icon live, so, if I enter some data
will I have the same issue with saving? and what can be done? They are in calendar terms quite recent so I would like to continue from where I "left off" if possible.

What in the world are you talking about? No, log files (I didn't know you could open them with GnuCash) are unlikely to show an active 'save' icon. Why would you remotely think so? They are LOG files. They 'log' activity (and maybe) errors with activity. (I think errors go to the Tracefile, but that is another topic) And if you tried to 'save' the attached 'gnucash' files and they didn't save, or were greyed out, that makes sense if you were logged in as 'Barry Mahon' but these files were 'owned' by 'administrato'.

STOP trying to open files and save them. STOP. If that is what you keep doing, you are seriously making a MESS.

I advised you weeks ago to slow down. I repeat that advice.

STOP. SLOW DOWN.

Do *NOT* just 'Do Something'. That is a terrible approach if you don't know exactly what it is you are doing.

-----
The next request is to send a screenshot, while viewing the Windows Explorer, when viewing the folder where your Gnucash file resides.

Does that sound complicated? If so, say so, and myself or someone else will simplify this process.

p.s — Barry, I know some of the above sentences may seem harsh. I'm doing my best to help you as is everyone else here. You *really* have to meet myself and everyone else here at least half-way. You've made a big stride in attaching an image vs. copy/pasting one. Keep that momentum up and we'll have you solving your conundrum in a jiffy. But you have to keep that momentum up...