Edwin,

I would suggest you read at least the introductory sections of the GnuCash
Tutorial and Concepts guide under the heading Basics
https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=5&lang=C&doc=guide and/or the Help
Manual https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=5&lang=C&doc=help
 . This will give you a  good idea of how GnuCash operates and the basics of
double entry accounting.

David Cousens