I'm curious what causes register entries to go read-only?

I have an "income" account, where I post invoices. Some of the entries there are editable, and some are not. I'm wondering what causes these entries to be read-only or read-write?

The ones that are read-write seem to be entries that I made manually... to 'add bonus payments' to invoices - like adding a 'tip' to a bill. The invoice is $100 and the 'bonus payment' is $20, so I went back and "somehow I guess" added the additional $20. Today, I just 'unpost' the invoice and add the necessary lines to change the value, re-post it, and then pay it (not sure if that's the 'right' way).

The ones that are read-only seem to be entries that came directly from the posted invoice.

So, I'm wondering what is controlling the editable-status of those entries?

~mark