On 12/18/2023 3:11 PM, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
Hmmm!

For 1) see the attached jpg. It describes the situation that no one wants to be
in (fyi - I am current practitioner in IT/Systems/Engineering/Software world)
... it's a defect; not a bug.

For 2), if I am spending energy to change it deliberately then I want to see
updated values; why else would I be making that change? Definitely not to have
a self-exploding time bomb for the future. It is a refresh/redraw issue and is
not an error in calculation issue, as it does eventually displays correct
values.

I get feeling that I am going to get flamed...

No, not flamed, explained.

So you have enough experience in the IT world to understand that this is a "refresh" issue. That the DATA (that defines current accounting period) is going to be in a file of "program data" that gets read in when the program starts and that the "change accounting period" function changes this data. To get it to take effect the program has to start again.

If you don't want to "leave a time bomb for the future", want to "see it now", just do a save, close, (re)open immediately after making the change to accounting period. If you don't want to interrupt your work flow (say entering a stack of transactions), the change will appear the NEXT TIME you open gnucash (not far in the future).  Not having it automatic gives you the choice. Personally I like all saves to be explicit, known points in my workflow. I am rarely entering transactions "real time" or in date order so want to know exactly where I was in the work flow each save.

Michael D Novack

PS -- that "not in real time" means I would be using explicit dates for reports, etc. and not things like "current accounting period" which are relative to real time.