Likewise not an accountant.

In the US (my tax authority), gains are taxed at two rates (long term and short
term), and gains and losses offset each other. I maintain separate income
accounts for short term and long term gains/losses (income accounts because I'm
an optimist!). These are placed in parent accounts for the brokerage (since
each broker sends its own tax reports). There's no need to separate by year,
since a saved report gives me last year's data instantly.

To summarize:

Income
  - Realized gains
  - - Broker 1