Yep, that was the problem. As you suggested, creating an environment
variable fixed it. Thank you.

For anyone seeing this in the future I put the following into ~/.profile,
export WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1

My system with an i7 and a discrete Nvidia card had the issue. Another
system with an AMD CPU and integrated GPU didn't have this problem.