Wm,

I’m pretty sure Mike Alexander didn’t plan on including the cash account in the 
Advanced Portfolio Report so it’s not too surprising that it doesn’t work well.

I tried adding a cash account on one of my test books; the book currency is USD 
and it has two currency prices: USD->JPY and GBP->USD. With the report currency 
set to USD it got the JPY one, presumably because it looked for the latest USD 
price in the pricedb; when I switched the report currency to GBP it got the 
GBP->USD price, and when I switched to CAD (there’s no CAD prices for anything 
in the pricedb) it set the price at $1.00 for everything. That’s helpful for 
examining the rest of the Cash account line though it obviously renders the 
stock lines rather useless.

Here’s that line:
Cash    USD     CURRENCY        198,907.29      C$1.00  **      C$198,967.15    
C$198,907.29    C$199,215.99    C$1,061,924.67  -C$291.99       -C$59.86        
-C$351.85       -0.18%  C$1,053,348.86  C$351.83        C$1,052,997.01  528.57%

The ending balance on the account is 198,907.29. So far so good. I ran a cash 
flow report over the full life of the account and it gives $1,278,022.82 in and 
$1,278,022.82 out; the difference matches the balance, confirming that it got 
all the splits.

FWIW the account does pay the typically tiny interest yield of such accounts in 
the US. The total interest is $76.49, so the real return is far short of the 
APR’s claimed 528%!

I’d have to go through the report logic for each column to figure out how the 
APR came up with each of the reported amounts, something I don’t have time to 
do right now. I can say that none of them match any of the lines on the Cash 
Flow report.

Regardless of that, aside from the paltry interest and the opening balance all 
of the income and expense on the account is due to purchase and sale of 
securities and receipts of dividends, attributable to the other securities in 
the portfolio. Of course many of those securities have been sold and so they’re 
not represented in the report. 
One could add logic to the report to exclude those. In this particular book no 
cash is added or withdrawn from the portfolio (the book is for a trust account 
that makes no distributions), but that’s a bit of a special case. A more normal 
situation would have some of both and I don’t know off hand how to deal with 
those meaningfully in a portfolio report.

Regards,
John Ralls


> On Sep 20, 2026, at 03:18, Wm Tarr <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I have a sub-portfolio where I want to include portfolio cash (a Type BANK 
> account in GC) in the portfolio report.
> 
> The Advanced Portfolio report does weird things with the account.
> 
> Fortunately the Investment Portfolio report behaves more sensibly.
> 
> These may be dups but I don't have access to bugzilla
> 
> Bug 1. Advanced Portfolio report doesn't deal with account Type other than 
> STOCK or MUTUAL FUND sensibly because it uses a PRICE from some other 
> apparently random commodity.
> 
> Bug 2. Investment Portfolio report displays wrong PRICE for account Type 
> other than STOCK or MUTUAL FUND (in my case it is displaying the price of 
> BTC) but the other details are correct, i.e. it isn't using the incorrectly 
> displayed price.
> 
> Wm
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [email protected]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to