These steps can be reduced where their cloud version is *not* needed at all.

 

Reading https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac-0 
steps to do Mac upgrade but probably isn’t necessary. Since Mac version doesn’t 
provide QIF export, The cleanest route (outside of cleaning up the data) is to 
export out data into QFX format from the existing Mac version and then install 
Windows version of Quicken 2013 (might not need Virtual Box). There is a link 
at the bottom of 
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken/?srsltid=AU7gw4UlwroMzIM8S5PREhIkCezAcT3BYQrpq0Ev9KerNVR0jIMjetyY
 for Quicken 2013 Deluxe download for free which is stated to be able to import 
QFX format and export away directly from there into QIF. This kind of implies 
that changes to their internal database was last done during version 2013, 
which make sense as I recall something to that effect. 

 

Before exporting the data, I suggest that in Quicken use Validate and Repair 
from File Operations and then from File Operation perform Copy. Do this about 
three times to try to rinse out bad records in Quickens internal database (not 
guaranteed). Then export to QFX, Import into Quicken 2013 on Windows. Run this 
rinse operation three times there as well before exporting to QIF format. 

 

This is likely to be the least resistant way of getting to GNC from that old 
data. 

 

 

From: Tom Route36 <[email protected]> 
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2026 2:35 AM
To: David T. <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]; Kalpesh Patel <[email protected]>; 'Stephen 
Lee Phillips' <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...

 

David,

The reason for having to go thru this rather long complicated process is 
because Quicken desktop software on the Mac -- all versions, from the oldest to 
the current subscription version -- fails to include any option to export a 
.qif file.  I don't have a Mac system myself where I could check that; but all 
the user forums and AI info that I looked at seem to confirm that.  You have to 
do the .qif export with Quicken Windows software.  Ugly, but that's Quicken.

As far as troubles with opening an ancient Quicken 2007 .qdfm file, you're 
absolutely correct.  Quite a few users have reported issues trying to do that.  
Unfortunately, if there is a problem opening the file with the latest Quicken 
Classic desktop software, the database itself may have issues inherent in the 
data structures.  And even if you can successfully open the .qdfm file with the 
original Quicken 2007 software, it's quite likely that exporting it to a .qxf 
file, and then attempting to open it with Quicken Windows (any version) is 
likely to have problems as well.  There's no real good way of getting around 
that.  If it's any consolation, the encouraging bright spot is that the export 
of the data is likely to export basic checking, savings, and credit card 
accounts and categories in those accounts intact and correct (at least based on 
the reports that I've seen).  Where problems are more likely are with stock and 
mutual fund type accounts, especially when they involve tracking stock splits 
and capital gains.  I suspect that no matter how the conversion goes for Steve 
there's going to be a lot of manual tweaking involved in Gnucash.  It's the 
reality of dealing with nearly 20 year-old software.

Tom



On 09/30/2026 11:54 PM, David T. wrote:

Tom, 

I hope you're right, but I'll note that I've seen some troubling pages from the 
Quicken websites that suggest that the current versions of Quicken won't 
directly open a Quicken file from 2007. That would complicate things 
drastically. 

Also, I'm not certain, but wouldn't Quicken for the Mac also have a QIF export?

David T. 

 

On October 1, 2026 7:54:44 AM GMT+05:30, Tom Route36  
<mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

Steve,

I think Kalpesh's advice is on the right track here.  But I think there's a 
simpler way of getting to where you want to go.  (Well, maybe not simpler. 
There's a bunch of steps involved.)  My suggestion would be to let Quicken 
provide you with the means of converting that data.  First (and don't get 
scared off just yet) it *will* involve you purchasing a Quicken subscription.  
*But* you should be able to ultimately accomplish all this on the cheap -- 
i.e., for FREE!  Bear with me here while I explain.

If you go to the Quicken website (not a third-party, that's important) and 
purchase a subscription from Quicken for "Quicken Classic (Windows and Mac)" 
(that specific product name is also important), you'll get the current Quicken 
desktop software.  Once you get that program loaded on your Mac computer, as 
soon as you go to start it for the first time (after logging in with your new 
Quicken ID), the program should ask if you have an existing file you want to 
open.  That's where you specify your Quicken 2007 .qdfm file.  I would avoid 
any requests or options to cloud sync your data.

Once you've opened the .qdfm file on your Mac computer with the latest Quicken 
Classic desktop software, don't try to change anything.  Just immediately go 
and export the data (all accounts and categories) to a .qxf file.  Be sure to 
save that .qxf file somewhere where you can access it from a Windows PC.

Next, go to your Windows PC (or borrow one if needed), and go back again to the 
Quicken website, this time on the Windows PC.  Login to your Quicken account 
(using the same Quicken ID you just created earlier on the Mac).  And download 
and install the same Quicken Classic software that you previously installed on 
the Mac.  Your subscription should allow multiple installations of the 
software.  Once the Quicken software is installed on the Windows PC, select the 
option to create a new empty Quicken file.  Once you've got the new empty 
Quicken file open, then go and import the .qxf file that you previously created 
on the Mac.

Now that you've imported the .qxf file to create a Quicken database on the 
Windows PC, you can finally export the data from there (on the Windows PC) into 
a .qif file.  And be sure to save it someplace safe.  That's the file that you 
need to get the data into Gnucash.

So you're finally done.  Uh, not quite.  Remember what I said about doing this 
for free.  Well, this is where you go back and contact Quicken customer 
support.  You tell them you tried their software and didn't like it.  And so, 
you'd like to take advantage of their "30-day Money Back Satisfaction 
Guarantee".  You should be able to get a full refund of all your money.

Anyway, I think this is probably the most straightforward way of getting the 
.qdfm file converted for Gnucash.
Hope this helps,
Tom




On 09/30/2026 04:04 AM, Kalpesh Patel wrote:

In that case MacOS is the only way in Virtual Box instead of Windows OS it 
sounds like. Two possible routes instead of one – 1) Older MacOS running an 
older Quicken version in Virtual Box and then export it out as QIF, or 2) let 
newer version of Quicken on MacOS upgrade that version into modern format, and 
then either export to QIF directly from there or bring it over to Windows and 
export. Note that Windows has been using QDF proprietary format to store 
Quicken data.

 

I found number of Vagrant boxes for older MacOS that can run in Virtual Box at 
https://portal.cloud.hashicorp.com/vagrant/discover?query=macos. 

 

In either case, though, you will end up with export-import cycle which is the 
best route.

 

 

From: Tom Route36  <mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]> 
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2026 12:08 AM
To: 'Stephen Lee Phillips'  <mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> ; Kalpesh Patel  
<mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]>; 'David T.'  
<mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...

 

Hi Steve,

After I saw Kalpesh's advice, it got me curious about those old versions of 
Quicken, and I decided to run a few tests.  If you did get a Windows instance 
up and running, you wouldn't need to worry about which version of Windows it 
was.  For my testing here on a current Windows 11 system, I was able to 
successfully install and run both Quicken 2014 and Quicken 2007.

The bad news though is Quicken Windows can't open a Quicken Mac (.qdfm) file.  
So I don't think doing that will help in your case.  As David mentioned 
already, you need Quicken (specifically a Mac version of it) to open that .qdfm 
file so that you can export it in one of those generic formats.

A piece of good news for you though is that newer versions of Quicken 
(post-2007) can most likely open your .qdfm file.  I tested and confirmed that 
Quicken 2014 can open a Quicken 2007 file.  At least it worked for me on 
Windows.  So even if you don't have a Mac system with Quicken 2007 anymore, I 
think if you can find someone with a Mac system that has *any* version of 
Quicken, there's a good chance it will be able to read your old .qdfm file -- 
which would then allow you to export it as a .QIF file.

Hope this helps,
Tom




On 09/29/2026 07:25 PM, Kalpesh Patel wrote:

Your only and, one and only one real option is run a Windows instance in a 
VirtualBox (Vagarant can provide a lot of plumbing if you know how) where you 
can install Quicken 2006 and export it out as a QIF  format (OFX and CSV 
formats for export are not available in Quicken) to import into GNC. Even that 
is not strait forward as semantics of two system differ in many ways. I would 
venture to think that you would probably need either Windows XP or Windows 7 as 
a compatible OS to possibly run that old of a Quicken version. You should be 
able to get a copy of it from the archive machine 
(https://archive.org/search?query=quicken 
<https://archive.org/search?query=quicken&tab=all> &tab=all).
 
I remember writing up good hints to minimize pain to this group many years ago 
from my experience of migrating over two decades of data from Quicken 2017 into 
GNC inn 2020 (and I am still fixing up some of that data).
 
-----Original Message-----
From: David T.  <mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]> 
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2026 2:32 AM
To: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> ; Stephen Lee 
Phillips  <mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Download assistance sought...
 
I'm pretty sure you won't find any success getting at that data from outside 
the Quicken universe. Your only option, I believe, is to open the data file in 
Quicken and export your data in a generic format like OFX, QIF, or csv and then 
importing that into another accounting program. 
 
David T. 
 
On September 29, 2026 7:16:35 AM GMT+05:30, Stephen Lee Phillips  
<mailto:[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

Trying to find conversion for .qdfm (Quicken Data for Mac) file from 
2007 and was directed to GnuCash, however I've been unsuccessful in 
finding, downloading, and extracting/opening the correct iteration to 
run on Intel Mac OS Sonoma 14.8.9: Any suggestions would be most 
gratefully appreciated...
 
Thank you!
 
Steve
 
 
 
*Advocacy • Legislation & Ordinance Preparation*
 
*Education • Intervention • Transport • FosteringPre-adoptive Home 
Visits • Avocational Bodhisattva* 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

 
David T.
 
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> 
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

 

 


David T.

 

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[email protected]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Reply via email to