On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 20:07 +0100, Mario-Lorenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on some of the mail-related packages, and found some issues
> that I would like to ask which the better way for a fix would be.
>
> a) fetchmail doesnt build because it can not find krb5-config.
>    It can not find it because the sunw kerberos one is in /usr/sun/bin,
>    which is not in its path.
>    It can not find the Ubuntu one because when porting that package, its
>    name was changed to libkrb5-config.

situation with libkrb5 is currently not cleared up yet. I'm voting for
OpenSolaris krb5 - to be a default in Nexenta. This would preserver
compatibility with OpenSolaris distros. The ubuntu packages which are
using krb5 are 99% autoconf/automake aware and should be able to detect
OpenSolaris diffs.

>    To fix this, do I
>    - change the krb5 package back so it provides krb5-config again,
>      which might cause issues if other packages expect krb5-config to be
>      the sun one (and have usr/sun/bin in their path)
>    or
>    - change the fetchmail package to include usr/sun/bin in its path and
>      thus link against the sun kerberos instead of the nexenta one
>      (are there any specific reasons why we need the two of them, anyway ?)
>    or
>    - change the fetchmail package to use libkrb5-config, which is an
>      unnecessary deviation from ubuntu (and possibly other packages
>      might suffer from a simmilar problem ?

if we would have krb5 as I suggested above - the issue wouldn't exists.

> b) mutt does not build because the permissions of /var/mail differ from
>    ubuntu. (sun var/mail has more lenient permissions, hence the configure
>    stage thinks it can do without the mutt dotlock helper, and doesnt
>    compile it, and the packaging stage wants to pack it in...
>
>    Again, this has to be fixed in either the sun package owning
>    /var/mail, or the mutt (and possibly other) packages...

I'll try to fix that in sunwcsr. What's the permission it needs to be?

> c) Is there an overriding rationale on when to use Sun userspace vs.
>    Ubuntu userspace ? sendmail, rmail etc. come to mind as examples
>    where this happens...

I would prefer to keep OpenSolaris stuff and provide an alternative for
Ubuntu ones.