disabling check-externals had no effect on this problem.

noticed this error in the gocd console:

Error while scheduling pipeline: DownstreamPipeline as no compatible revisions

Realized we did have some downstreams configured, but this error didn't
seem to effect pipeline success (all green as mentioned).

Found this issue, which suggested a workaround of using cron scheduling

https://github.com/gocd/gocd/issues/1391

So on all the pipelines... set chron schedule to

0 0/1 * * * ?

with 'run only on new materials' checked.   this seems to correct the
issue, still get svn polls but they're about 1/100th of the data requested.

ᐧ