> When we turn to the researcher, the situation changes significantly,
> if slightly. Researchers regard the VoR as the canonic version of
> their article, almost exclusively (I exempt you and me and a small set
> of similar-minded people). As far as they are concerned, all earlier
> versions are suspect and not to be displayed once they have served
> their purpose. They also believe they wnthe VoR. This is not an
> cademic ideal but a practical reality. The VoR is THE CANONIC
> VERSION. It is one reason why many researchers fail to post anything
> on an OA repository, because they do not understand what their rights
> are and they are reluctant to post something they conceive of as
> flawed.

There's an assumption in many of the posts on this topic that all articles
accessed will be cited. My experience is that I identify many articles from
their abstract (usually available for free), a forward and backwards
reference search (an article is cited by another I've read or cites another
one I've read), from the list of publications of an author whose other works
I've read and from a number of other sources. If that article is available to
me in the VoR or as an AM then I can first skim the introduction/conclusions
and if it seems of further interest read the full article, or selected
elements of it. After this proper reading of all or some of either the VoR or
the AM then at some point I MAY wish to reference the article or quote from
it. Then and only then is the VoR actually needed at all, ad actually I (as
you note below) rely on the open access AM version if I don't have access
already to the VoR (of course any article I don't have access to doesn't get
read and therefore not cited - in particular I almost never pay the
ridiculous per-article costs requested by publishers - one article costing
the same as 50-100% of full books? That just demonstrates exactly how
ridiculous are the subscription rates on which the per-article charges are
sert pro-rata). If I really felt I needed the VoR for the articles I want to
cite then I could pay the per article charge (I don't, but others may be more
hesitant). In my experience, and this is just personal anecdote, I identify
perhaps 50-100 times as many articles as of potential interest as I actually
cite. For someone in a less interdisciplinary field perhaps their numbers
might be lower, but then again they may also already have subscription access
to the journals they feel they need - the narrower one's research focus, and
the large one's group of researchers with the same interest, the more likely
one is to have access to the necessary literature. However, I would suspect
that most researchers do not cite every article they ever read. For any
article one does not actually wish to cite, the VoR is not necessary. The AM
should absolutely be sufficient for evaluating the importance of the article.

Arthur Sale continued:
> Interestingly though, I believe there are a growing number of
> researchers who totally ignore any agreement they sign with
> publishers, and post their VoR regardless, because it is heirs It is
> this practice (in the form of providing electronic "reprints") that
> publishers find difficult to ignore, and possibly why the copyright
> transfer agreements are strengthened.
[snip]

You make a quantitative claim here. Do you have any evidence you can offer
for this?

[further snippage]

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/