> Anthony

Andrew, actually. But, absolutely no offense taken :-).

> Point 1 - absolutely true. Only a small minority of downloads lead to
> citations. Have a look at the download data of eprints.utas.edu.au. However
> I cannot resist writing that citations are not the same as impact. Only in
> academic circles are citations highly regarded and that is useful but not
> totally relevant. In most places what one is looking for is impact. For
> example if I write an article on improving fish farming, I want the fish
> farmers to take it up. If they only get the AM, well yes that is much better
> than nothing (as Stevan says) and they might contact me. However, their
> directors will want to know (for legal reasons) that their recommendations
> are firmly-based, and that means access to the VoR, which fish farmers may
> not have. Hence researcher attitudes to the VoR.

While I couched my point in terms of academic work and referencing, I think
we're actually talking about the same thing in different contexts. In your
example of the fish farm, I think their usage of results in practice shows
the same patterns as I gave for academics. They would still, I suspect look
at many more articles at some level, gradually drilling down into the ones of
most interest/relevance. Only at the very final stage where they wished to
make a proposal for adoption of a novel element in their practices drawn from
the peer reviewed literature would they need access to the VoR, just as a
working scientist or scholar only needs access to the VoR at the point of
citation, or other usage (such as replicating the experiment). The benefits
of the AM are still enormous in that potential recipients of the research
only need, if they feel it necessary, to pay the toll access for the VoR on
the small percentage of the articles that get through their filters for
relevance

> Point 2 - sorry no. The observation is anecdotal. Largely based on my
> university and Australian universities, but supported by website, blog and
> Mendeley evidence. I believe it is why some mandates are not worth their
> disk space (or the paper they may be written on) - they are ignored by real
> live researchers. The OA movement needs to engage with researchers and
> convince them that the mandate is worth complying with, because they do not
> believe it. You may be interested to know that ALL Australian universities
> have repositories, but only those of the University of Queensland, the
> Queensland University of Technology, and the University of Tasmania (mine)
> are in the top 100 of the Webometrics survey? Why? Probably because most of
> the 'mandates' are ineffective, except in gathering citations and restricted
> documents. The first two universities have strong mandates.
>
> The OA world is bigger than 'mandates at all costs'. It needs to recognise
> the reality of revolutions. They disrupt normal practice (in this case of
> science and scholarly dissemination).

Here I think you, I, Stevan and many others (Bernard, Alma etc.) are in
agreement in practice but are interpreting words slightly differently is all.
When I talk of mandates (and I know I'm in complete agreement with Stevan on
this) I do not mean just a published policy document, however well worded.

The first step is to get as close to the optimal policy as possible, with
wording that will be understood by the staff concerned to mean what you want
it to mean, and to be acceptable to staff. There are many ways in which staff
who do not accept the validity of an institutional policy can actively
undermine that policy, even if they cannot get it overturned as policy. So,
that acceptance as a valid policy is a necessary step in "adopting a
mandate". However, once the mandate is official policy compliance with it
needs to be promoted. There are multiple aspects to this. First, there needs
to be effort at making deposit as easy as possible and to get people to
default to depositing the full text, not just meta-data. Second there are
other aspects of policy that can be used to support this, the Liege model
being so far as we can tell the most effective (internal evaluation measures
are only carried out on full-text deposits (which under ID/OA can be closed
access but MUST include the full-text in at least AM form). Third, the
benefits to the individual, the research group and the university of
depositing (and where at all possible making the deposits open access instead
of closed access plus button) need promotion.

You appear to somewhat conflate in your discussion above having a mandate (a
real mandate not just an encouragement policy) and having a (mostly empty
repository). Stevan and others have done a number of studies showing that
strong (preferably ID/OA) policy mandates are a necessary but not sufficient
condition to achieve 80%+ ongoing deposit. The liege model, explanation and
promotion of the repository and of the mandate (stressing the need for full
text not just meta-data) are the extra conditions, but so far everything less
than a real mandate fails to achieve more than 20% or so of deposits. The
process of getting a mandate adopted often requires gaining relatively broad
acceptance of the idea by promotion and explanation anyway.

So, I don't think we have any real disagreement on fundamental practical
matters here. We agree that the technology could be better, for example
interoperability between repository software and academic networking systems
could be improved, ease-of-deposit can be improved by things like local or
global disambiguated author lists (I find it frustrating that every time I
co-author a paper with people I've coauthored with before that most
repositories require me to manually fill in their names again and that they
don't have joint "ownership" of the document). But all these are simply
nice-to-have add-ons and while the vast majority of the world's research
remains behind toll access barriers and while we have evidence of a way that
works (properly worded and promoted mandates [shorthand: "mandates"]) all
these extra bits of gravy are a distraction for most from following the green
brick road to OA.

As I've said in my own presentations on OA, a coalition of librarians,
academics and management who all stand to benefit in a win-win-win from
universal OA, is the way to avoid yet more lost years or even lost decades,
byt moving towards adoption of "the optimal mandate solution" described above.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/