David Prosser wrote:
> Say I wanted to data mine 10,000 articles.  I'm at a university, but I am c=
> o-funded by a pharmaceutical company and there is a possibility that the re=
> search that I'm doing may result in a new drug discovery, which that compan=
> y will want to take to market.  The 10,000 articles are all 'open access', =
> but they are under CC-BY-NC-SA licenses.  What mechanism is there by which =
> I can contact all 10,000 authors and gain permission for my research?

The intent of CC-NC is that one cannot take the original material, re-mix it
(or even just as-is) and sell the resulting new work. It does not mean that
the information it contains cannot be used in a commercial setting, but that
the expression it contains cannot be used in a commercial setting. A simple
example is that a CC-NC licensed book cannot be recorded as an audio play
which is then sold. If one makes an audio book it must be available for free.
However, copies of a CC-NC book can be distributed to students who are paying
for a course in English literature as one of the books studied.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/