My most recent blog may be of interest to this list. It starts as follows, the
rest is available at
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2011/10/open-access-doubts.html

--Eric.

  Open Access Doubts

Science embraces the concept of weakly held strong ideas. This was illustrated
recently by the excited reaction of the High-Energy Physics (HEP) community to a
recent experiment.("Measurement of the neutrino velocity with the OPERA detector
in the CNGS beam", arXiv:1109.4897v1) If confirmed, it puts into doubt the
speed
of light as an absolute limit. The relevant paper is available through arXiv,
which started as a HEP preprint repository and blazed a trail for Open Access.
In light of the origins of the Open Access Movement, let us again be inspired by
the HEP community and its willingness to follow experiments, wherever they may
lead. Assessing the ongoing Open Access experiment, where are our doubts? I have
three.

Is Affordable Better than Free?

All else being equal, open is better than closed. But…

http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com