On 2 May 2012, at 15:31, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> On 2012-05-02, at 9:28 AM, Jan Velterop wrote:
>
>> On 2 May 2012, at 13:32, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>>>
>>> Andrew is so right (and the current UK government is showing as much good
>>> sense in turning to JW as they showed for many years in turning to RM).
>>>
>>> Wikipedia is based on the antithesis of peer review. Asking JW to help make
>>> sure peer-reviewed research is available to all is like asking McDonalds to
>>> help the WHO/FDA make sure that wholesome food is available to all.
>>
>> Ach, come off it, Stevan. By your reckoning arXiv is also the antithesis of
>> peer review. Would you talk in the same way about Paul Ginsparg?
>
> Arxiv contains preprints of articles before and after peer review. Arxiv
> does not do peer review. Neither do institutional repositories.

And Wikipedia doesn't either, so why is that the antithesis to peer review?

> (Why do you ask about Paul Ginsparg?)
>
>> OA will gain from more involvement of people who understand diplomacy,
>> persuasion, and yes, 'marketing'.
>
> At the moment, Jimmy Wales does not have a clue about what are the real
> problems of getting OA provided by researchers; nor does he have a clear
> understanding of (or any experience with) peer review.

He knows and understands far more about OA that you presume (on the basis of
what do you presume that, actually?). For a start, he has been 'educated' on
all matters OA by Melissa Hagemann herself.

> This can all be remedied, if someone has JW's ear, and he listens and
> understands.
>
> Then JW can be a helpful (though no doubt expensive

Expensive? No-doubt? You didn't read the article in The Guardian, did you?
There it says "… he was brought in by No 10 as an unpaid adviser to
government on crowdsourcing…".

> ) conduit to the ears of
> those (David Willetts?) who are in a position to do what needs to get done to
> make the RCUK mandates work.
>
> Meanwhile, regarding diplomacy and persuasion, I suggest that you give
> more weight to what Professor Rentier has posted
> about academia's attitude to Wikipedia. We are trying to win researchers
> over to providing OA to their peer-reviewed research -- not to win them
> over to some fantasied Wikipedia-style alternative to peer review.
> http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pipermail/goal/2012-May/000372.html
>
> We've been down this path so many times, Jan. Is the appointment of a
> celebrity name now to be the occasion for rehearsing it all yet again?

I know somebody who is infinitely more repetitive with his views than I am with
my views.