On 2012-05-12, at 8:20 AM, Richard Poynder wrote:

> List members will doubtless correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that
> the nub of this issue is that Peter Murray-Rust believes that when a research
> library pays a subscription for a scholarly journal (or a collection of
> journals) the subscription should give researchers at that institution the
> right both to read the content with their eyeballs, and to mine it with their
> machines -- and that this should be viewed as an automatic right.

Licensing rights are an excellent topic for the
Library licensing list: LibLicense-L Discussion
Forum liblicens...@listserv.crl.edu

I am not implying that they should not be discussed
on the Global Open Access List (GOAL) too, when
they are relevant to OA.

But it seems to me that when the Director for
Universal Access of a rather large publisher
posts a query to an open access list about
what we wish to encourage publishers to do
(and praise), we should encourage and praise
measures that will help us reach OA, not
measures that are either orthogonal to OA or
even potential sops to sweeten the failure to
rescind measures that make it harder to
reach OA.

Stevan Harnad