On Sat, May 12, 2012, Alicia Wise (Elsevier Director of Universal
Access)  wrote:

> I agree that we are mixing up several issues/objectives, and helpfully Keith
> has identified some of these.  I can think of a few others and I suspect
> there are more strands in this knot which others will hopefully identify.

The first and foremost issue on the Global Open Access List is Open Access (OA).

It will be very helpful in helping researchers to provide -- and their
institutions and funders to mandate -- Open Access if Elsevier drops
its "you may if you wish but not if you must" clause, which is not
only incoherent, but intimidates authors. (This would also help
counteract some of the rather bad press Elsevier has been getting
lately...)

> * we are probably conflating needs/practices in different disciplines

All disciplines need, want, and benefit from OA.

It will be very helpful in helping researchers to provide -- and their
institutions and funders to mandate -- Open Access if Elsevier drops
its "you may if you wish but not if you must" clause, which is not
only incoherent, but intimidates authors. (This would also help
counteract some of the rather bad press Elsevier has been getting
lately...)

> * we are certainly conflating temporal challenges - how we xxx or yyy in 2012
> may be different from the way we do it in 2015 or 2020.  Text mining is an
> example.

OA is needed now, not in 2015 or 2020.

It will be very helpful if...

> * we sometimes construct the false dichotomy of an open access world vs. a
> subscription world - there is already a blend of gold, green, subscription,
> and other business models, and there will continue to be for awhile (possibly
> forever)

OA is not a business model, it is Open Access.

It will be very helpful if...

> * we conflate pragmatic and idealistic discussions and yet need both

A purely pragmatic issue:

It will be very helpful if...

> * we too often duck the important issue of funding - for example could the
> dynamics of sustainable gold+green be different from the dynamics of
> sustainable subscription+green?  Could the price be different for gratis
> gold oa vs. libre gold oa?

Subscription publishing is being paid for via subscriptions. If and
when subscriptions become unsustainable, because institutions have
cancelled them, publishing can convert to Gold OA and the institutions
will have the windfall subscription cancellation savings to pay for
it.

But for now:

It will be very helpful if...

> To refer back to my original query about what positive things are established
> scholarly publishers doing to facilitate the various visions for open access
> and future scholarly communications that should be encouraged, celebrated,
> recognized let me be cheeky and suggest one.  The recent STM public
> statement that publishers support sustainable open access
> (http://www.stm-assoc.org/publishers-support-sustainable-open-access/) is one
> thing I would suggest should be celebrated by others who are also interested
> in open access.

Statements of support are always welcome. But as we are talking
pragmatics rather than ideology:

It will be very helpful in helping researchers to provide -- and their
institutions and funders to mandate -- Open Access if Elsevier drops
its "you may if you wish but not if you must" clause, which is not
only incoherent, but intimidates authors. (This would also help
counteract some of the rather bad press Elsevier has been getting
lately...)

http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/822-.html

Stevan Harnad

Begin forwarded message: