Dear Arthur,

(1) For years and years I did not refer to toll-access as "subscription
access" but as "subscription/license/pay-per-view (S/L/PPV)". (Google the
AmSci Forum archives in the late 90's and early 2000's and I'll find
countless instances.)  PPV is neither satisfactory for most users nor is it
affordable, scalable or sustainable for most institutions. (If it were,
subscriptions would already be cancelled unsustainably. PPV is a parasitic
niche market.)

(2) S/L/PPV are all forms of toll access, and I don't believe for a second
that any of them provides sufficient access.

(3) That's why I (and many others) have been struggling for open access
(OA).

(4) It is true that "where we are now [is]paying to read articles"

(5) But for me it is certainly not true that "where we want to be [is]
paying to publish articles"

(6) Where I want to be (and have wanted to be for two decades) is OA:
toll-free online access to articles.

(7) I also think the fastest, surest, most direct and cheapest way to 100%
OA is to mandate Green Gratis OA.

(8) I also happen to expect that 100% Green OA will lead to Gold Libre OA
(pay-to-publish) and the total cost will be far lower than is was with
S/L/PPV.

(9) If Finch had done a better analysis, then instead of squandering scarce
research money to pay extra for pre-emptive Gold OA, they would have
extended and strengthened UK's cost-free Green OA mandates.

(10) I'm hoping RCUK may still have the sense and integrity to fix its
policy and do just that.

Stevan