'Pirate copies'... now there's an interesting topic for the list.

I am a member of several social networking sites used by academics e.g.
Facebook, Twitter, FriendFeed etc... and more traditional academic mailing
lists (GOAL itself is one!) like TAXACOM (Taxonomy), DML (Dinosaur Mailing
List), VRTPALEO  (Vertebrate Palaeontology) and more.

Such "PDF requests" for research material are a *daily occurrence*. I
assume everyone on these sites and lists knows that it is technically
copyright infringement if they supply a PDF to various requesters, but it
seems to me that no researcher actually cares one bit about this. (my
opinion/observation)

More importantly, the very ubiquity of these acts, the fact that very
senior  respected researchers in my field also do this, and that it's an
everyday occurrence lead me to believe this practice is completely accepted
by researchers (if not by subscription publishers) as just part and parcel
of normal research in a 'serials crisis world' where no research library
has access to everything.

So, I'm sorry but I fail to feel shamed. Requests for unrestricted access
to information are completely normal in my community.

Point-taken though that this particular study is unlikely to have been
publicly funded by taxpayers, and so it's a slightly different case to
'normal' publicly funded research works.

Ross

PS Thanks for the suggestion David but I never use the Inter Library Loans
system - it is very slow and supplies really awkward protected PDFs that
can only be printed once (and our printer is very unreliable) from what I
remember when I last attempted to use it years ago. Twitter is the new ILL
from what I can see... [just making practical observations...]

On 9 October 2012 17:23, Sally Morris <sa...@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk>wrote:

> **
> I don't see why ALPSP's ability to recoup the cost of  this research
> should be undermined by open distribution of pirate copies - shame on you!
> However, I did summarise their findings, and combine them with other data,
> in a paper for the Publishing Research Consortium (
> http://www.publishingresearch.net/author_rights.htm)
>
> Sally
>

> Sally Morris
> South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex, UK  BN13 3UU
> Tel:  +44 (0)1903 871286
> Email:  sa...@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk