The Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA)'s chart illustrating 
the growth of the CC-BY license ironically demonstrates the inadequacy of the 
license for data mining. This chart is posted in image format on a CC-BY 
licensed blog. The data per se has not been posted for download, and there is 
no explanation of the method of data capture. One could copy out the data 
points manually, with some estimation, for manipulation. However, this blogpost 
illustrates very well that a work can be CC-BY licensed but virtually useless 
for data mining.

I would contrast this with my similar data set for The Dramatic Growth of Open 
Access, which for years has been available through a CC-BY-NC-SA license. The 
full dataset is available for anyone, anywhere to download and manipulate. This 
practice is probably not optimal for several reasons. The most important from 
the perspective of data manipulation, I suspect, is because I use an excel 
spreadsheet. I suspect csv format would be more useful. I'd  appreciate some 
advice on this; perhaps this will be an emerging role for librarians? Public 
domain for the data per se would make more sense. What's needed here is a way 
to manage granting credit to the dataset creator that doesn't impose 
restrictive terms on the data per se.

Links:
OASPA ironically demonstrates limitations of CC-BY:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2013/03/open-access-scholarly-publishers.html

OASPA growth in the use of the CC-BY license:
http://oaspa.org/growth-in-use-of-the-cc-by-license-2/

Dramatic Growth of Open Access Series:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2006/08/dramatic-growth-of-open-access-series.html

Where to download full data:
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/10990

best,

Heather G. Morrison, PhD
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com
_______________________________________________
GOAL mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/goal

Reply via email to