On 2013-03-13, at 12:08 PM, Hans Pfeiffenberger wrote:

Am 13.03.13 18:00, schrieb Heather Morrison:
> Here we see two interpretations: a CC-BY license places an obligation for 
> "full and proper attribution" versus a CC-License for data and text mining 
> results "would be mostly pointless".

You are mis-representing what I said about "pointless"-ness of 
CC-licenses:
I think I made it very clear that I referred to facts (data) only, 
while RCUK spoke about text (articles).

Comment & question

My point is that there is ambiguity with respect to the need for attribution of 
data. The piece from the RCUK policy that I quoted refers to re-use of content 
using text and data mining - repeated here:
3.1. (i) "Search for and re-use the content of published papers both manually 
and using automated tools (such as those for text and data mining) provided 
that any such re-use is subject to full and proper attribution"…
from: 
http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/documents/documents/RCUKOpenAccessPolicyandRevisedguidance.pdf

I am seeking clarity, not aiming to misrepresent anyone's position. If your 
statement and the statement from the RCUK policy actually are compatible, could 
you explain how? What I am reading is that RCUK is saying that results of data 
and text mining (of articles) requires full and proper attribution, while you 
are saying that with respect to facts / data, there is no copyright and so CC 
licenses are irrelevant. Am I missing something?

best,

Heather





_______________________________________________
GOAL mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/goal

Reply via email to