The library community has to make up its own mind whether it is OA's friend
or foe.

(1) Cancelling journals when all or most of their contents have become
Green OA is rational and constructive -- but we're nowhere near there; and
whether and when we get there is partly contingent on (2):

(2) Cancelling (or even announcing the intention to cancel) journals
because they allow Green OA is irrational, extremely short-sighted, and
extremely destructive (to OA) as well as self-destructive (to libraries).

But I already have enough to do trying to get institutions and funders to
adopt rational and constructive OA mandates that researchers can and will
comply with.

If libraries are not allies in this, so be it; we already have publishers
whose interests conflict with those of OA. If it's to be the same with
libraries, it's better we know it sooner rather than later.

I suspect, however, that there might be a portion of the library community
that would be strongly opposed to cancelling journals because they are
Green, and precisely for the reasons I have mentioned.

Stevan Harnad