There is a general point: the Elsevier site(s) are riddled with Open Access
inconsistencies. I have discovered at least:

* open access articles behind paywalls
* articles advertised as open access but not labelled anywhere
* (private correspondence) articles paid for as open access but never
posted as such  (espite correspondence by authors)
* articles without any statement of open access (IMO both the HTML and PDF
should have clear statements)
* articles with conflicting messages (CC-BY and "All rights reserved")

There are other serious deficiencies:
* the licence is often many pages down the paper (e.g. just before the
references and very difficult to locate). It must be on the visible section
of page 0.
* the Rightslink is seriously broken.

All this gives the consistent impression (over at least a year) of an
organisation which doesn't care about doing it properly and/or isn't
competent to do it. It is clearly a case of retrofitting something that
hasn't been prepared for, and without enough investment.

The whole area Open-access provided by Toll-Access publishers cries out for
a body which creates acceptable practice guidelines, monitors compliance,
fines offenders and restores mispaid APCs to authors. If an author pays
5000 USD for a product they deserve better than this.

Elsevier are the worst offender that I have investigated, followed by
Springer who took all my Open Access images, badged them as (C)
SpringerImages and offered them for resale at 60 USD per image. Just
because OA is only 5% of your business doesn't mean practice can be
substandard.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry