On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Jean-Claude Guédon <
jean.claude.gue...@umontreal.ca> wrote:

>  I will go one step further:
>
> I believe that all the instances noted by Peter are not simply oversights;
> I believe they are part of a kind of "benign neglect" aimed at creating as
> much confusion as possible. The result is that researchers do not know
> which way to and, therefore, abstain.

There are many hypotheses. I am not picking one in this case.
* One, which I think  happened about 10 years ago was general ignorance.
"We've never heard of this Open Access thing" - etc. That's no longer the
case anywhere
* "we simply don't care". Again I doubt that. Most publishers have heard of
Open Access. Note that "benign neglect" when driving a car in UK is called
"careless driving" and can land you in jail. "careless publishing" is an
offence morraly and should be legally.
* "our company knows how to do things". I call this institutionisation, in
keeping with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism. The
organization as a whole is unaware of the injustice it is causing and may
even think it is doing OK.
* incompetence.  Could also be system failure.
* deliberate muddying. I differentiate this from careless publishing. I am
absolutely sure it's happening.
* moving the goal posts. Similar, but different. Here the position is
clearly defined but constantly changing.

At least, if I were a strategist within one of these big publishers, this
> is what I would strive to do: avoid direct confrontation and muddy the
> waters as much as you can while optimizing the revenue stream from whatever
> source.

The fact that the *deliberate* policy on CC-BY vs CC-NC/ND is so messy is
an indication that muich of this is deliberate.
PLOS/BMC/eLife/PeerJ/Ubiquity... are honest brokers. Pay your APC and they
provide very clear CC-BY. There was never any question.

The Toll-access publishers could an should have done this. Springer and
Wiley have (I think) universal CC-BY. Good for them. But many others have
offered tempting CC-NC and authors have "chosen" it.

The analysis is as sophisticated as going into a class of 10-year-olds and
asking "do you want carrot salad or do you want burger and chips and fried
mars bar? Oh and the burger is cheaper". Of course authors aren't
sophisticated enough to know that the *only* beneficiaries of CC-NC are the
publishers because they then have a monopoly to sell reprints (which could
be tens of thousands of USD per paper).

>  --
>
> Jean-Claude Guédon
> Professeur titulaire