But Sally, so-called 'green' and 'gold' are the means. The BOAI definition is
an articulation of the end, the goal. Of course, if you navigate the ocean of
politics and vested interests of science publishing, you need to tack sometimes
to make progress against the wind. That's permissible, even necessary. But it
doesn't change the intended destination on which a good sailor keeps his focus.
If that's religion, anything is. (Which may be the case :-)).

One mistake made by some OA advocates is to elevate the means to the goal.
Another one is to confuse the temporary course of tacking with the overall
course needed to reach the destination.

In the larger picture, OA itself is but a means, of course. To the goal of
optimal scholarly knowledge exchange. And so on, Russian doll like. But that's
a different discussion, I think

Jan Velterop